What are the changes to the NHS?
The new TORY Health and Social Care Act means Commissioning Groups (CCG’s) made up mainly of GP’s are now given the money to buy our local health services. They have to offer contracts to private health care providers as well as the NHS.
When will this happen?
It is happening already! Outrageously it began under Labour. In the UK private companies like Virgin are running Medical centres, children’s services, district nurses and hospitals, for profit!
How can profit be made from health care?
The taxes we pay to the government are given to private companies to provide health services. To increase profit they make cuts and sell care. MP’s & some doctors on the CCG’s have financial interests in these companies and gain by selling off the NHS to them!
Will health still be free?
Free health treatments like hip and knee replacements, cataract and other operations are no longer available in some areas. Already insurance companies are planning to sell “top up” health policies!
With public pressure, some Groups have chosen the option of giving health contracts to one provider: the NHS! We need to force all Groups to do this.
What is happening in our city?
* Arriva Bus Company takeover Community Ambulance
* Drugs services in the city have been privatised
* Plans for further privatisation are imminent
* A planned review of 12 hospitals, A&E departments and 12 vital areas of health — with a plan to cut services and close hospitals and at least 4 A&E departments
What can you do?
* Send a KONP card or write to ask your GP to mark your medical notes ‘NPP’ (No Private Provider)
* Organise a KONP meeting in your area
* Write to your local paper / phone in to your local radio station – it is vital that the public are informed
* Write to your local MP
* Contact your local CCG
* Join our mailing list
* Ask your local councilors to get involved
* Ask your Trade Union what action they are taking.
* Talk to people you know – many are not aware of what is happening.